Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Making connections

 Last year, or the year before, when I first learned about flossmass I thought it was flosstubers who wanted to put a big focus on Christmas cross stitch projects and sharing christmas-related thoughts and making an extra push to reach out to other cross stitchers in what is typically a pretty busy time of year. 

I have a point.  Eventually I will get to it. In the meantime, my writing may be stream-of-thought. Sorry. 

This morning I started watching Coggie's most recent video. She mentioned she's been reading the reddit for craftsnark. I forgot about craftsnark so I went and took a look through. 

Okay, yes, I remember what craftsnark is about.  I didn't forget that part. Though I did have to remind myself that I was going to be reading people being snarky. 

It was a bit of a downer to read people's less than positive comments about flosstuber's and knitting podcaster's videos. Granted, they were talking about people I had never watched, so I really can't say if the comments were warranted or not. 

It's not easy to sit down in front of a camera and talk to yourself for any length of time.  Then edit the video, making cuts or adding in. It's a lot of work, actually, to put out something that most of the time there isn't a lot of feedback on. Unless you "make it" and then you are so busy cranking out content that you lose the spark you had for what made you start writing or recording in the first place.  In my opinion most people do it because they want to make connections to other people who also just as excited about the hobby they love.

Back when I first started writing this blog I was excited to "write a blog" and reach people out on the internet.  Though back then (16 years ago -- holy crow!) I didn't know what I wanted to write and share about. But I did know I wanted to leave my mark. 

Then a few years ago I made the leap and started making vlogs.  Then a certain world-wide thing happened and I stopped recording because the thought of recording myself talking while someone else was in the house was pretty unnerving. I often think about reviving that part of my youtube channel and sharing my excitement about the projects I'm working on. However, my nervousness and introvertednes keeps me from taking that step again. Down the road, maybe. For now, I'll be maybe making videos of garden stuff.  I don't have to show my face in those! 

Whether writing blogs entries or making videos for youtube, a person is making their self a bit vulnerable by opening up.  

And then trying to find the right balance ... *sigh* 

This is a topic that has been on my mind for a while. It sort of came bubbling up to the top today, apparently, after I read the craftsnark subreddit.  I don't frequent it a lot, if you couldn't tell. 

Well ... now that i've got that off my chest ... let me blather a bit about my day. 

My day involved a trip to the office and swinging by Menards. There I purchased a utility tub/tote and that is the last piece of equipment I need for the upcoming garden season. 


You know, for mixing up the potting mix for making soil blocks. 

I also picked up a suet cake holder and a small bag of bird seed. 

This evening I whipped out another ornament.  I say "whipped out" very loosely. 


Well ... that's it for now.  Catch you on the flipside. 






1 comment:

Becky G said...

I remember your vlogs. I thought they were very entertaining and enjoyed watching them. I've thought about doing the occasional vlog of my own from time to time, talking about knitting, the cat, and my piano practicing, but yeah, the introvert in me doesn't like to be in front of the camera.