Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Chicks, man, ... Oh! and wood!

Today when my guy got home he started working on the wood pile.  As in, cutting them down to size, drag them into the garage and then use our new wood splitter to knock those pieces down to size.

"I will chew you up and spit you out"
This machine is working fantastic for us. Really easy to use.  Even I got in on the action and split a log.

This was one of the piles that was split.  After I took the image there was a second pile about that size.  I put together a log rack and we hauled the split wood out and stacked it up.  The whole family got in on the fun.


And, because I'm a dork, I made my DH make a video.  Cause that's what you do when you get a new log splitter, I think :-).


 While I was getting ready to go out to the garage and help with the wood splitting my son exclaimed "Mom! I hear chirping!"

"What?"

"I heard chirping!"

I ran over to Elvis' box and listened.  Sure enough!  Baby chick chirps!.  One of the sweetest sounds ever!

After a while we heard chirping again and because we are first time parents with hatching eggs DH took a peek and saw the egg had a dime sized hole in it and could see black with red tipped feathers.  That sneaky Blackie got one of her eggs under Elvis.  Blackie is an Americana.

A little while later I took a quick video.



A short time later, that little baby was out of it's shell and Elvis didn't know what to make of it.  She scooted her body over her/him and is keeping her new baby warm.  I tried to take photos but it's hard when you don't want to use a flash to disturb a new mama.

"Why can't the paparazzi leave me alone?"

That little dark lump is the baby chick.  Awww :-)
So now we've been doing a little bit more reading so we know what to expect and what to do and what not to do.

1. I rocked it at work today and got a whole mess of stuff done.  Go me!

2. Elvis' first egg hatched.  I can't wait to see that fuzzy little baby running around the brooder box.

3. I had some awesome tasting chili for lunch today.

4. How babies bring out your sweet side. :-)

5. Root beer floats.  Yes, we still have some homemade root beer left. 



1 comment:

Kelsbels said...

Exciting on the new chick! And that log splitter is neat! That saves a lot of work!