Sunday, February 2, 2014

Sunday's are for sleeping in

Today my guy let me sleep in. That was really nice because I got to bed late last night and I knew I was going to be aching a bit from all the bending and stooping to finish up the hearth.

And here it is!


We went to Menard*s this a.m. (drawing a blank now on why). All the fireplace and wood stove accessories were on clearance. We got an ash bucket and shovel.  Most of the stuff I couldn't think of us ever using.  We also picked up a big log rack which will go out in the garage, I think.


I spent about an hour this morning washing and polishing all the tiles.

Nothing else happened today.  Well, my guy was looking at the Menard*s flyer online and read that our wood stove was on sale.  I dug out our receipt and saw that we were still in the two-week period for price adjustments. I made the whole family go back to the store and we got a price adjustment. Which was *AWESOME.* We got an in-store credit for more than $200. Woot-Woot.  Made my day.  So we ran and got another log rack.  A smaller one, for inside the house.

It was decided that homemade pizza would be for supper.  I got online and looked for a recipe for a Pizza Hut clone recipe for deep dish pizza.  I found one that was listed on a news website.

DOUGH
(24 ounces dough—enough for 3 small, 2 medium, or 1 large)
 
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons active dry yeast
113 cups warm water (105 to
115 degrees F)
3 cups bread fl our
1¼ teaspoons salt
 
1. Make the dough by dissolving the sugar and yeast in the
warm water. Allow the solution to sit for about 5 minutes, or
until it gets foamy on top.
 
2. Combine the fl our with the salt in a large bowl. It’s best to
use a stand mixer with a paddle for this, then switch out the
paddle for a dough hook.
 
3. Pour the foamy yeast solution into the fl our and combine on
low speed until a dough is formed. Turn up the speed a little
and knead the dough for 10 minutes. If you don’t have a stand
mixer, knead by hand for 10 minutes, or until the dough is
very smooth and elastic. Cover the dough in the mixing bowl
and let the dough rest for 2 hours.
 
4. Roll out the proper portion of dough to fi t in the deep dish
pan or cake pan you are using: If you are making a 9-inch
pizza (small), divide the dough into three equal portions; for
a 12-inch pizza (medium), divide the dough in half; and for a
15-inch pizza (large), use all the dough. Roll out the portion
of dough so that it is slightly bigger than the pan you are using.
Rub oil around the bottom of the pan: Use 1 tablespoon oil
in a 9-inch pan, 1½ tablespoons in a 12-inch pan, and 2 tablespoons
in a 15-inch pan. Drop the dough into the bottom of
the pan and spread it smooth to the edge of the pan, and
then use your fi ngers to form a raised lip around the edge.
Cover the pan with foil and place in a warm spot for 1 hour.
If you have two ovens, place the covered dough into one
of the ovens with a pan of boiling water, then close the door.
If you have only one oven, you can set the pan near that oven,
since you will now preheat the oven and it will give off some
heat. Place a pizza stone in the oven and set it to 500 degrees
F.
 
5. Make the sauce by combining all the ingredients in a small
saucepan and placing it over medium heat. When the mixture
begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Cover the sauce, and let it cool while the dough rises.
 
6. When the dough has doubled in size, spoon approximately
¼ cup of sauce on a 9-inch pizza, 13 cup sauce on a 12-inch
pizza, or ½ cup sauce on a 15-inch pizza. Spray the edges of
the crust with butter-fl avored nonstick spray, then top the
pizza with enough shredded mozzarella cheese to cover the
sauce. Add your choice of toppings and bake for 10 to 12
minutes, or until the crust and cheese begins to brown. Re-
move the pizza from the oven, allow it to cool for a few
minutes, then slide it out of the pan, slice, and serve. Repeat
the process with remaining ingredients if you made the smallor
medium-size pizzas.
• MAKES THREE 9-INCH PIZZAS (SMALL), TWO 12-INCH PIZZAS (MEDIUM),
OR ONE 15-INCH PIZZA (LARGE).
 
The result?  Close but not quite where I wanted to be.  I wanted to get the crispy crust and it was almost there. 


The pizza as a whole was very tasty.  I would make this again in a heart beat.  BUT ... there is a lot of wait time on this crust recipe. 


I think it was worth the wait.

I looked back in the archives to see when I first noticed that Elvis was being broody.  It's official, the eggs could hatch any day now. 


I'd say she already had the "mommy needs a cocktail" look about her.  I had to move her eggs over today to clean up the mess she made and she kind of wigged out that I had moved her eggs.  I grouped them all together and she went over and sat on them and I swear I heard her sigh contentedly.


When I went out to shut the light off out in the coop they were all ready for the lights to go out.  I had to take a picture of Brewster.  He's such a pretty little fellow.


 White Cheeks decided she wanted a glamour shot. 


The girls were wondering when the light was going to be turned off.

1. The wood stove went on sale within the sales adjustment period.  I'm so pumped about that.  Makes me feel so better about buying the stove when we did.

2. Knitting did happen today. 

3. The wax melts from Scentsy. Someone gave me a wax warmer and a couple packs of wax melts.  The wax melts hold their scent for a long time.  Much longer than the one's I got at wal*mart.

4. Homemade root beer floats to go with supper tonite. Mmm :-)

5. "Dear beautiful Spring weather, I miss you.  Was it something I said?  ~"Skipper" Kim Corbin."  This quote seems apt today.




No comments: