Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Daily 5 Gratitudes and intro., Jan. 1, 2014

I've never been one for making new year resolutions.  I had "Year of ..." themes for a few years. Haven't done that for a while though. ...

This year I thought I'd try a few things.  I've got a few resolutions.

1. Go internet lite. I realized I've been hanging out online quite a bit the last year.  It's so easy to ignore what you need to do and stare at the computer screen when you are tired. I have lots of things I could be doing around the house instead of being online. I have a feeling a lot of people have this resolution this year. I'm not going to try and go cold turkey but my time online will be scaled back.

2. Be kind to myself.  No beating myself up over the little things, what I eat or how much I may move and groove my body.  I'm going to start carving time out for myself.  Even if it's just ten minutes a day.

3. Make time for my hobbies. I have a plethora of hobbies but I don't always make time for them and then I'm kicking myself because of instead of reading, knitting, spinning, etc. I waste time online when I'm not interacting with the family.

A couple months ago I came across this article on Busted Halo, "Living a Life of Gratitude" and it piqued my interest.

The online mom's group I belong to has a "Daily 5" of things that you are thankful for on any particular day. One of the mom's started this tradition more than five years ago. It's a wonderful thing to do, but after reading the article on Busted Halo, I realized that I'm thankful for things every day but once I write that email  and send it to the group the items I'm thankful are "alive" only as long as the email is being replied to. I want something that lasts longer and that I can look back on and remember.  While it kind of flies in the face resolution number 1 this is something that I think is important.

Starting today I want to share five things each day that I'm thankful for or what makes me happy. It sounds so simple but I know that as the year goes on it will be more challenging.

Do you think this is something you want to do?  Check out this wiki article. I imagine that there is something like this out in the blogosphere somewhere but I'm not looking to make it a linky party or anything like that. This is something that should be strictly for the writer. I also don't know if I will be sharing these posts on my FB page or twitter feed each day.  I'm still debating on that point.

1. My son's giggle. The other night we were watching a tv show together and he had a case of the giggles. He's almost 9 and doesn't do the giggle thing too often anymore. Hearing his giggles was like music to my ears.

2. My guy makes an awesome steak. In my opinion, not many people know how to make a good steak. Fortunately my guy can cook one perfectly, either on the stove, the grill or an open fire.


3. I'm maintaining. This past summer I lost almost 20 pounds. I did it by changing what I ate.  I didn't do much exercising, even though I should have.  I weighed myself today for the first time in several months.  I was so tickled pink to see that I was maintaining my weight loss, especially during the holiday season when there is so much eating.

4. Having family over today. I love my little homestead in the woods but it is out of the way and not conducive for just "dropping in."

5. Chocolate milk.  You just can't go wrong with it. You are drinking something healthy and getting a treat thrown in. 

No comments: