Thursday, January 16, 2014

Daily 5, Jan. 16, 2014 (I'm officially tired of snow)

I'm officially tired of snow.  Well, not even so much the snow but the snow and cold combined. Bah!

When I got up this a.m. the temp was pretty mild.  It was in the mid to upper 20s F.  I had to take care of chicken chores this a.m. since my guy is *still sick* :-(

Turn the light on and spent a few minutes with them, regretting that I didn't have my camera.  Brewster tried doing his "dance" up on the roost and kept almost falling. 

By the time I got into the car to head into work it was snowing pretty good.  Almost blizzard conditions, it felt. It cleared up once I got past the village I live by but the roads were still sketchy.

No sun today and we got about five inches of fresh snow at the homestead.


I'm really missing blue skies. 

Since it was decided that our little Elvis is broody we tucked two fresh eggs under her today.  She accepted them just fine and when I went to tuck them in for the night she was still sitting on them and giving the "growl" when I looked at her.  She's playing surrogate for Red and Blackie. This is going to be interesting. 

My hand carders came today!  I was pretty pumped to see them.  Especially since my new phone didn't show up.  That's a bit of drama there. But I digress ...  


I asked my honey to screw the handles on since I'm not so good with the screw gun and delicate stuff.  Then I went into my craft room and pulled out the container of washed fleece I have from a few years ago when my SIL gave me a fleece from one of her friends.  

I was pretty bummed when I opened up the container and realized that the fleece was more felted than I remembered it being :-(. I'm going to find a different purpose for the fleece. Maybe throw it in the back yard during spring for the birds to use as nesting material. Now I'm on the hunt for raw fleece (hint, hint mi familia :-) ) I have that $25 g.c. for Paradise Fibers and I may use that towards some raw fleece there. 

In the meantime, I did order this with the carders. 


It's already carded and ready to spin.  Someone told me that 24 ounces is enough for a sweater.  I sure hope so. 


What I like about this is that they printed the date I bought this, on the label. 

Tonite there was no spinning and very little knitting done. I have no idea where the evening went, it flew by. 

My son got a second wind just a bit ago and asked me to do "ring around the rosie" with him.  Everytime I hear about ring around the rosie I always think of when he was was about two years old and he was singing "Rosie apples." I found out later from his daycare person that he and one of the little girls at daycare used to play ring around the rosie.  So he would sing "ROSIE apples."  I'm not sure if I ever got that on video.  I think I did. 
 

1. Elvis is sitting on eggs.  Oh, just the thought of baby chicks makes me smile. 

2. Seeing Brewster trying to impress the ladies this a.m. He's just so funny to watch. And he takes his job as protector of the girls seriously.  Today when Red's egg was collected she threw a mild fit and got Brewster all riled up and giving my guy the stink eye. 

3.  I beat the traffic on the way home. The road conditions weren't "ideal" and the roads were mostly empty. Very thankful for that.

4. Winking at my guy when he's across the room.  We are in our 17th year together and still going strong. Not many people can say that :-). I still love him just as much as when I first met him. 

5. I took time for myself tonite and had some chamomile tea. Oh! I feel so fancy!
 

2 comments:

Kelsbels said...

Your first chicks to be born at your house will be coming? How exciting!

Kelsbels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.