Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Welcome year 2014

Boy, it sure feels weird to say "2014."  I feel like the last year went by in a flash

 I wanted to say thank you to all the people that keep coming back and reading my blog. It is nice to know that my words don't go unread. :-) Thank you!

I also felt the need to mark Jan. 1 on the blog, but I don't have *pretty* recent photos.  Just a lot of snow.  I found this photo from Aug. 12, 2013. I miss the green grass and seeing the girls and roo run around the yard. Today my DH mentioned that some places are accepting orders for chicks.  In about four months we could be getting baby chicks. Last year we got our chicks from a local business. This year I know to contact them earlier to place an order so the babies have a little bit more time in the brooder before we move them to the coop.


Wow, I sure managed to deviate right there didn't I?  Oh well.

A quick update on the last few weeks: Well, I've been knitting up a storm, it feels like, but not really.  It's been a few dishcloths and more recently a hat for my son.  There is a bit of a story behind the hat so I'm going to post that in a separate post, along with how I knit it. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

 We had a nice, quiet Christmas. Actually we had two Christmases.  We celebrated Christmas with my MIL Christmas eve. We had a lovely turkey dinner.  Probably the best turkey I will ever make in my life.

My SIL and BIL had a family emergency right before Christmas and so we celebrated Christmas with them today. I made a ham and my DH found a recipe for cheese scalloped potatoes. The potatoes turned out really yummy.  I said to him that I hope he bookmarked the website.  I really enjoy having people over for a bigger meal -- even if it seems that one things doesn't turn out right every time.

The weather has been cold. ... So very cold.  Last night it was -26 degrees F and that wasn't including the wind chill factor.  There was one day a few days prior that the weather was gorgeous. The sun was shining and the temps was 34 degrees F for the high.  We went snow shoeing for the first time that day.  It was pretty interesting. The snow is pretty deep on the back end of the property.


Once we reached the back of the property I took a shot of the trail we made.  I was walking opposite of the steps my guy took, in hopes of making the path of sort of even.  We didn't see a lot of animal tracks until we got to the back trail.  I tried taking photos but they didn't turn out at all. 


Even though three people were stomping around in the snow, it was so incredibly peaceful back there. 


You can sort of see one of the set of tracks in this image.  Kind of long and dragging. We were thinking that some sort of big cat came through.  The tracks looked a bit like tail drags.


So much snow! The sun was out a little bit this day, but you can't tell.  It looks so desolate. 


Do you think Sasquatch lives here?  Looks kind of squatchy.


I think this shot was so neat.  The snow melted off the fallen tree but it's still hanging on.

Tomorrow it's back to your regularly scheduled programming, i.e. back to work and regular work days.  I've had a lot of time off the last couple weeks.  Which has been wonderful.


No comments: